Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What Makes a Home?!

Lately I've been busy trying to make our house feel like "our home". This house is the first place that I feel like we are actually home. We loved our house in Monterey! But after Nick had to leave for training and Jake and I were by ourselves, any "homey" feeling left when he did. So, I have really enjoyed working on some projects to make it just that. I started with the downstairs bathroom, since that's the one everyone uses and sees. I just painted two of the walls, but it totally made the difference. I wanted a beach theme, to remind us of home. I still have a few pictures that I wanna put up, but for the most part I like the feel of it. Unfortunately the picture does not give it justice. But here it is anyway...


(you have to see it to know what it REALLY is like.)

My biggest project was Ambers room. I painted two of her walls and put flower and butterfly decals on the walls. I know it doesn't look like much, but holy cow...did it take FOREVER!!! She has little butterfly and flower drawer pulls, butterfly bedding, laundry basket, trashcan, light and outlet covers. I am VERY PROUD to say that I got all the little accessories on clearance. Everything cost me just under $22. :D Here's a few pictures of her room. Once again...picture doesn't give it justice.







And then I did Ambers bathroom with a duck theme. Ever since Amber was a tiny little baby, she has LOVED ducks. So I thought it was only fitting to have her bathroom decorated with ducks. Here's a few picutres...





And just for fun... here's a picture of our house. For all of our family who hasn't seen it...yet! :)

9 comments:

Pierson family said...

I didn't know you lived in Monterey?! I lived there for 9 months when I was a sophomore in high school, I loved it! Anywho I know what you mean about trying to make your house feel like a home. I have become super nesty lately and am just trying to get organized. I love Amber's room.

McCain Family said...

Holy Crow! Amber is in a toddler bed already? We are hoping Zoe will be ready for one when we get to Maryland.

Kim said...

Crys! It looks great! What a good job you did. How fun to have it turn out so nice. And yeah, I have to say I'm impressed Amber is in a bed already. Wow, how do you keep her in her bed? She doesn't get up and play or coma and find you guys at night? Wow, I think Sam will be in a crib for awhile longer...

Heather said...

You can't imagine how jealous your post made me. Well, maybe you can, since you lived with your momma for awhile, but still... I'm incredibly jealous. I've also been feeling really "nesty" lately, but I can't do anything about it. Anyhow, what I really wanted to say is it's beautiful!! I love the upstair's bathroom especially, and the ducks and butterflies look great. Good job!!

Cece Girl said...

Awww...I love it! You make everything look so perfect...and very homey! Wish we lived closer...xo

Bernice Madsen said...

Wow, that is soooo awesome!! Your homes looks FABULOUS! Makes me soooo jealous we're still in a tiny apartment. :o( I wish i could decorate more. When we finally get the chance, i will definitely be calling you for advice! :o)

Char said...

Pretty, Pretty! Everything looks so happy at your house. Maybe you should hire yourself out to help people with their interiors. I love the picture of Nick and Amber - so cute. We sure miss you! Love mom/Char

Dori and Dan said...

Crys, you should be so proud of yourself. Everything looks BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the purples. I'm kind of partial you know. ;) You really did do a wonderful job. I love the coordinating colors and everything! I know you must just feel so happy to finally have a place you can do stuff like that to. Congrats!! Love ya-Dori

Valarie said...

So you did paint after all! It all looks so good - totally worth it even though you'll have to paint it back. At least you can enjoy it while you're here! I can't believe you got such great deals on Amber's stuff - nice shopping!